The Ten on Tuesday topic this week is: Ten Things That Make You Feel Like A Grown Up. Here's my list:
1. My job. Going to a job every day - in bad weather, in the summer, between Christmas and New Year's Day, and when I don't want to.
2. Planning a trip. The whole process of planning (& paying for) a trip makes me feel grown up. I really felt this way this past summer, when I decided to take my daughter & two of her friends camping at Assateague. I had to plan the food, make sure we had everything we would (or might) need, make sure I knew what to do in emergencies, make judgment calls about the weather.
3. Having a child. The responsibility of it, and the decisions that one needs to make. I'm a single parent, so my decisions are mine (good or bad). It can be a little overwhelming sometimes.
4. Being able to go where I want, when I want. For the most part I can do this. Of course I have places I need to be (like work) at a certain time. But in my free time, I get to decide where I go.
5. Making life decisions - career, where to live, to have a child or not, how to spend my money, etc.
6. Having a car. And car insurance. And repair costs. And gas costs.
7. Buying food. I decide what I'm going to eat.
8. My self-awareness. I know myself and am so much more comfortable with myself than I was as a child and teen.
9. Saying 'no' to some people/things/events.
10. Doing things because they need to be done - even when I don't want to do them.
What are some things that make you feel like a grown up?