Rhinebeck Bus Trip 2014

Friday, June 6, 2014

Chemo Hats, Quinoa Salad and Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Last night was knit night with a group at the church that one of my Mom's cousins attends.  This group, KFC (Knitting For Cancer), knits prayer shawls for people with cancer.

There was a guest speaker - Danielle, from Bo Peep's Bonnets.  Bo Peep's Bonnets gives knit hats to women who are undergoing chemotherapy.  She also has an Etsy shop (sorry, I don't have the shop link), where she sells hand-knit items.  I believe she also sells some of her patterns.  Danielle brought along kits to make one of the chemo hats.  Here's the hat I finished:

It's an easy knit.  The swirl pattern keeps it interesting.  The yarn is...well, I can't seem to find the ball band.  The pattern calls for Hometown USA yarn, so maybe that's what this yarn is.  Anyway, it's a super bulky yarn, knit on US 13 needles.  

Most of the women in the knitting group are new knitters.  There were a few who learned to purl last night.  So, they learned some new skills last night (knitting in the round, increasing, decreasing, purling). 

We also had food!  We had a veggie pizza, cookies, little cream puffs (!!), fruit, and I took a quinoa salad with lemon-tahini dressing and roasted sweet potatoes.  It was all very yummy.  The quinoa salad was a throw-together kind of dish for me.  It was good, so I'll definitely be making it again.  The sweet potatoes were SO amazing!  They may be my new favorite.  The lemon tahini sauce was from Oh She Glows.  It may have been from her cookbook. If you don't have it, get it - there are a ton of great recipes in it.   She makes dishes that are simple and use basic ingredients (well, basic for a vegetarian or vegan; some may be a little strange if you're a meat eater) and taste really good.  The link is to her website. 

Sadly, I did not get any knitting done on Irene Adler last night.  That means that I will have to do a lot of knitting this weekend, in order to keep to my schedule (I have 12-13 days to finish it).

That's all I have for today.  The weather here has been beautiful (it reminds me of San Diego weather) and it's (finally) Friday!

Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment