Rhinebeck Bus Trip 2014

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Looking Forward

I am so excited today (in my low key, Introvert way).

My Mom recently discovered that one of her cousins is a knitter.  This cousin is part of a knitting group that meets twice a month.  Tonight is one of the meeting nights, so my Mom & I are going.  They have food at this knit group, so I made a quinoa vegetable "salad" with a lemon tahini dressing to take.  As a vegetarian in a meat eating county, it's always good to take a dish that will fill you up, and will provide you with adequate nutrition (in case there's nothing else at the event that you'll eat).  I've been to too many events where I end up eating potato chips, cookies, and maybe a cheese sandwich (American cheese on a roll or bread).  Don't get me wrong, I love potato chips and cookies (and sometimes American cheese sandwiches), but, nutritionally, they aren't the best. 

The past few months, I've been more intentional about eating well - eating food that packs a lot of nutrition & that has simple ingredients.  I feel much better when I do this (go figure!).  When I am eating well, I don't crave junk.  I have even found myself not interested in processed food lately.  Some of the food related things that I read (on facebook, or on the internet in general) talk about "recipes" using processed food and I find myself wondering "why?"  Why use that store-bought salad dressing (that contains ingredients you can't pronounce) when dressing is so simple to make?  Throw a few ingredients in the blender & you have an amazing tasting dressing.  So many processed foods are marketed as being time-savers, when, in reality, preparing real food does not take that much more time.  Take guacamole.  I've bought guacamole that was so-so.  But the guacamole I make?  It tastes amazing!  And it's not much harder to make it than it is to open that package of prepared guacamole.

The other thing I'm excited about/looking forward to has to do with eating better.  It's the CSA I signed up for.  Spring here had a slow start, so the first CSA pick up is next Thursday (instead of today).  I am SO ready for it!  I'm excited about having fresh vegetables.  I'm excited about trying new veggies & about learning different ways to prepare them.  I'm excited about having a healthy lunch every day.  Also, the CSA is already paid for, so I don't have to budget for it every pay.  I just show up at the farm each week and pick up my share of produce.

I'm also excited about finishing the Irene Adler shawl.  No, it's not done yet, but I'm getting closer.  It is SO beautiful!  I can't wait to take a picture of the blocked shawl.  I'm going to take it along to knit-night tonight.  Hopefully I will be able to get some knitting done.  I have doubts about my ability to knit a lace shawl while interacting with people.  But I have a schedule to keep, so I need to meet my stitch quota for today!

What are you looking forward to today (or this week, or this month)?

No comments:

Post a Comment