Rhinebeck Bus Trip 2014

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

My Knitting

When I was at Rhinebeck, I bought some of Miss Babs' Yowza - Whatta Skein! yarn.  This yarn is soft, it's hand-dyed, the stitches look great.  I love it!  Here's a picture of the yarn:

 
It was really hard to choose the color because Miss Babs has SO many beautiful colorways.  In the end, I went with my all-time favorite color: blue.  I love the range of blues in this colorway.  It has everything from a very dark (almost black) blue to a bright turquoise.  It's exciting to see which shade shows up next, as I'm knitting.  I also love the hand-dyed yarn because my sweater is mostly stockinette stitch, so the color variations add some visual interest to it.
 
Here's a picture of my sweater, so far:
 
 
Neither of these pictures were taken outside, so they are relying on crappy indoor lighting (and my crappy iPhone 3GS camera), so the colors in these two pictures look way different.  The actual in-person colors are so much prettier.  Sigh.

But from this second picture, you can see how beautiful the stitches look.  This yarn would show cables (or lace) well.  I may add a cable to my sleeves.  I haven't decided yet.  Also, each skein of this yarn is 560 yards long.  That is a lot of yarn!  I have knit over 7" to the body (front & back - over 200 stitches per round) of this sweater and I am still on the first skein! 

Here are the sweater details:
Pattern - the one created for me by the Custom Fit website
Size - mine!
Yarn - Miss Babs' Yowza - Whatta Skein!, in the Blue Ridge colorway
Needles - KnitPicks Harmony (inter-changeable circulars), size US4 - the cable length is fairly long

I am knitting this mostly seamlessly.  I will knit the body in the round, up to the armhole shaping.  I do the armhole shaping flat, and then stitch the shoulder seams together.  Then I pick up arm stitches and knit the sleeves in the round, from the top down.  The sweater hem, neck, and sleeve edges are all seed stitch.  The rest of the sweater is stockinette (unless I decide to add a cable up the side of the sleeves).

This sweater has been a quick knit for me, so far.  I'm very excited to finish my second (ever!) sweater.  I can see using this pattern as my "everyday" sweater, and making several more, in different colors.

What are you knitting??

2 comments:

  1. Lovely colors! I can't wait to see your finished object.

    I'm slogging through a pair of socks at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to wear it! I have to remember to go outside to take pictures of the finished sweater. The pictures I took of my first sweater (the one I wore to Rhinebeck), are too dark.

    Oh, and the socks you're working on are beautiful. :-)

    ReplyDelete